Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Young Americas Forum?
The Young Americas Forum is a permanent, open and inclusive platform for the youth of the Americas to actively participate as social actors in the Summits of the Americas, the OAS General Assemblies and other high-level meetings.
2. What is the purpose of the VI Young Americas Forum?
Through the VI edition of the Forum, the youth of the Americas has had the opportunity to connect with their governments, representatives of the private sector and civil society, as well as multilateral agencies; thus consolidating an ecosystem of youth development, strengthening democratic governance and promoting the Inter-American agenda.
3. Who is organizing the VI Young Americas Forum?
The VI Young Americas Forum is organized by the Young Americas Business Trust (YABT) with the support of the Summits of the Americas Secretariat of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the host country of the IX Summit, the United States.
4. What is the Young Americas Business Trust (YABT)?
The Young Americas Business Trust is an international non-profit organization based in Washington, DC, that works in cooperation with the Organization of American States (OAS) to promote the social and economic development of youth in the Western Hemisphere and the rest of the world.
5. What participation channels will allow me to contribute to and participate in the Young Americas Forum?
The available channels of participation that bring the opinions and concerns of youth directly to the Young Americas Forum are:
– Youth Dialogues: On-site or hybrid events, co-organized by YABT and youth networks to bring the voices of youth to the processes of the Summits, General Assemblies of the OAS, and other high-level international meetings. Youth Dialogues application form available here.
– Virtual consultation: To facilitate the participation of as many young people as possible and fuel the debate, virtual consultations are an open and accessible channel to do so, available here.
– Associated events: Activities with different formats that take place in parallel, where youth have a meaningful participation and share their contributions. These events aim to help the organizers present to the YABT a summary of the main results and nurture the perspectives and concerns that are being carried forward.
6. What is the official hashtag for the Young Americas Forum?
7. What have been the results of the VI Young Americas Forum?
After four years of consultative process, the VI Forum concluded with concrete proposals for the IX Summit of the Americas through the Declaration of Commitment and Action Plan, which was presented in the presence of the Heads of State and Government of the OAS Member States.
8. What is the Declaration of Commitment and Action Plan?
It is the document written by the Young Americas Business Trust (YABT), which compiles the written proposals, recommendations, concerns and priorities of youth to governments, around the 5 C’s of Youth Development; it includes the voice of more than 27,000 young people involved in the process of the Young Americas Forum, held for the period 2019 – 2022.
9. How can I be part of the follow-up and implementation of the Declaration of Commitment and Action Plan?
YABT invites youth to continue to contribute to the Summit process and to connect more youth to the Young Americas Forum. By joining efforts to spread the work and follow-up in their community, as well as leading activities of the youth consultation process based on youth dialogues and virtual consultation.